Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Mothers Day Poem - A Haiku for Mom

Mother's Day is May 13 this year. Choosing something for mom isn't always easy. If your mom is anything like mine, she would rather receive a heartfelt gift than something from the store. Mom spent the last 31 years taking care of me and looking after my well being. What does mom want most? I think that sometimes, we base what we think someone else would want on what we would want. I've bought mom loads of makeup, nicknacks, kitchen gadgets and other some such over the years. Most of the time, mom is less thrilled than I thought she'd be. Oh, yes, of course, she appreciates what I give her, but, I don't even think she'd really mind if I didn't buy anything. We are such a commercialized society that we think everyone wants things that cost money. In the case of my mom, I think she'd be twice as touched by a poem and a picture than she would be impressed by an expensive item at the mall. This year, for Mother's Day 2012, mom is getting something from the heart.

I decided to compose something for mom. Haikus are one of my favorite types of poetry. They are simple, easy to read, and can convey almost ethereal sentiments. I started out by refreshing my memory on how to write a haiku. I read this wikihow article. In summary of this articles contents, you can choose to write an Americanized haiku or a Japanese haiku. I decided to go with the simple 5 - 7 - 5 design typically taught to children in elementary school. After refreshing my memory on haikus, I started listing adjectives that describe mom and also the number of syllables in each word.

After that, I chose the ones that I liked the best and put them into verse, making sure to remain within the correct number of syllables for each line. I will obviously be presenting my mothers day poem in a more precious format. What are you doing for mom this year?

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing! I'm going to teach my students to write a haiku for mother's day using your method and inspiration.

    ReplyDelete